Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sink or Swim: Why I Don't Like Swimming...


Today I had a revelation: I really don't like swimming.

It's not because swimming isn't fun, because it can be. It's also not because I don't like public swimming pools (even though they are pretty gross if you stop to think about it). My dislike pretty much boils down to two main reasons...

1. I wear glasses. Unless you wear glasses yourself, you might not realize what this means. Wearing glasses means I either can't dunk my head under the water or I take my glasses off and am essentially blind. It doesn't make much of a difference if you're playing Marco Polo, but otherwise it pretty much sucks.

2. Swimsuits are awful. This actually has nothing to do with having body image issues; it's just a fact. First you have to find a suit in your size (which is hard enough) and then you have to hope it meets your expectations for modesty (which they usually don't) and then if you're large chested like me, you have to hope it'll provide enough support. If it doesn't (and they usually don't) then you have two options: 1) buy the suit and wear a heavy duty sports bra with it, or 2) forget that suit and try your luck ordering an expensive suit that is supposedly sized to fit you. Otherwise the consequences include, but are not limited to: droop, inappropriate cleavage, and the dreaded bounce.

In the end, I find that swimming is usually not worth the hassle. So unless I'm at a pool party, I'll probably pass on taking a dip.

Am I just weird or do other people dislike swimming as well? Let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment