Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Importance of Getting Involved on Campus (And new exciting things!)

I apologize for such a long absence from posting. I noticed that I haven't written up a post since the first week of September, so that needed to be remedied. Since I apparently have difficulty coming up with topics for blog posts, I've decided I'm going to continue with the themes of college-related posts. I suppose I should begin by telling you a bit about myself. I am currently a Senior, and I have been an Orientation Leader at my University for the past two years and this year I have the opportunity to teach a freshman seminar class, so I consider myself to have a wealth of knowledge about how college works. I'm planning on having a weekly post about a college-related topic (probably not actually on Tuesdays though - we'll see what happens), and if you have suggestions please leave them for me in the comments! This week's post is going to be about getting involved on campus.


For most students, we're now entering the third or fourth week of classes! By now, you've probably found yourself overwhelmed by all the clubs and organizations that seem to be everywhere on campus. You might have even found a group to join. If that's the case: Congratulations! If you haven't yet found a club or organization that meets your needs/wants, then I encourage you to keep looking, or if possible, start your own!

The rule I generally hear is that students should try and be in at least two organizations or clubs; one that aligns with your major/degree/career choice and one that is something you're interested in. My freshman year, I joined a Pre-Health society and a volunteer organization called Learn to Be, where I could tutor kids online. These checked off the two boxes for me. At the same time, don't go overboard with the organizations because you will feel like you don't actually have time for classes. Try reminding yourself that the primary reason you are in college is to get an education, so classes should come first. If you find out later on that you're too involved, it's ok to cut back. Trust me, the club isn't going to hate you for leaving because they're all college students too and they understand how important it is for you to be able to manage your time well.

Now I want to move into why getting involved is so crucial to your college career.

1. Make friends! If this isn't your main reason for joining a group, it should be a close second or third.
2. Tutoring/Study Groups/Advice from others
3. Events/Parties/Activities - most clubs will have at least a few events each semester, so this can give you an opportunity to relax and have fun.
4. Carpools - this kind of goes with making friends. It's extremely possible that others in your group have a car, and might drive you places if you don't.
5. Study break - because studying all the time can drain you and leave you mentally exhausted (not a great thing when you have a test later in the week)
6. Leadership experience and Community service
7. Networking - Maybe the student sitting next to you works in a research lab or has this sweet internship lined up. He or she could possibly help you out later on.
8. Resume - probably the most cliche thing related to academics and clubs. Yes, you can put it on your resume and it may make you look better to interviewers
9. Teacher recommendation/References - most clubs/organizations have to have a faculty sponsor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment